In this week’s Kids’ Kitchen we’ve got two really delicious sweet treats for youngsters to make at home.
Both the recipes will require an adult to give younger chefs a little assistance, or at least to be on hand to supervise, as some of the steps require the use of a pan on the stove.
Don’t forget to send in pictures of your kids cooking in the kitchen to email@example.com and you could see them featured in our amazing Kids’ Kitchen supplement, coming soon in the Press and Journal.
Fruity rocky road
(Makes 16 squares)
- 200g dried sour cherries and blueberries
- 90ml Belvoir Blueberry & Blackcurrant Cordial (or any cordial of choice)
- 297g can condensed milk
- 100g each of dark and milk chocolate, finely chopped
- 30g of butter, softened
- 200g of digestive biscuits, roughly crushed
- 50g of mini marshmallows
- 100g of white chocolate, chopped
- Line a 20cm square baking tin with parchment paper.
- As some of the steps require you to heat things up in a pan, get an adult to supervise.
- Put the sour cherries and blueberries in a pan with the cordial and 30ml of water and bring to a simmer then remove from the heat and set aside to cool and soak for at least an hour.
- Pour the condensed milk into a pan, and heat until just coming to a simmer, stirring.
- Put the dark and milk chocolate in a bowl with the butter and pour over the hot condensed milk. Stir until you have a smooth glossy mix.
- Strain the fruit, discarding any excess liquid, then add to the chocolate mix with
the biscuits and mini marshmallows.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until completely combined.
- Tip it into the lined baking tin and spread out with the back of a spoon. Melt the white chocolate, then drizzle it all over the surface.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours until solid. Cut into 16 squares and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Belvoir.
Peanut butter chocolate cornflake nests
- 225g chocolate
- 2 tbsp Lyle’s Golden Syrup (or any golden syrup of choice)
- 1 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 50g butter
- 75g cornflakes
- Mini chocolate eggs to decorate
- Place 12 paper cake or small muffin paper cases in a muffin tin.
- Put the chocolate, golden syrup, peanut butter and butter in a bowl and set over a pan of gently simmering water (making sure the base of the bowl does not touch the water).
- Once the mixture is smooth, remove from the heat and gently stir in the cornflakes, until completely covered in chocolate.
- Divide the mixture between the paper cases.
- Place some mini eggs on top and chill in the fridge for at least one hour.
Recipe courtesy of Lyle’s Golden Syrup.