Up your vitamin D intake with these three ways to use mushrooms, regardless of your skills in the kitchen.
You’ll look at mushrooms with nothing but love and admiration after giving these recipes a go, courtesy of nutritionist Madeleine Shaw.
She’s even thrown in a mouth-watering burger to help you celebrate this Thursday’s National Burger Day.
So, whether you like Mexican-style food, a good burger or you prefer to hone your baking skills, there’s a way you can do it using these vitamin D-rich veggies.
If these have tickled your taste buds and you want more, then why not give some of our previous three ways with… a go, too?
- 150g mushrooms
- 1 tbsp of sriracha
- 1-2 eggs, boiled
- 4 tortillas
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ½ mango, cubed
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
- 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a pan heat the oil, mushrooms and sriracha with some salt, fry for 7-10 minutes until golden.
- Heat the oven to 200°C and pop the tortillas, drape over two to three wires on the oven rack to create tacos, bake for 5 minutes then remove carefully.
- Pop the mushrooms, avocado, mango, jalapeno, lime juiced, eggs, salt and pepper together in the tacos.
BBQ Pulled Mushroom Burger
- 3 Tesco Vitamin D Enriched Portobello Flat Mushrooms
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 4 tbsp of tomato puree
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of cayenne
- 1 tsp of smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp of maple
- 2 tbsp of balsamic
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 1 avocado
- Lettuce, a few leaves
- 2 burger buns
- Remove the mushroom stalks and turn upside down so the top is facing down on a chopping board and shred the mushrooms using two forks.
- Fry the onion in olive oil for 5 minutes followed by the spices and shredded mushrooms. Season and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Next add the tomato, maple syrup and vinegar, simmer on a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Mash 1/2 the avocado and season then assemble the burger with the mushrooms, mashed avocado and lettuce.
Mushroom, Feta and Tomato Tart
- 1 filo pastry slice (e.g. Jus-Rol)
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 150g Marks & Spencer’s Vitamin D Enriched Super Chestnut Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp of thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 100g of feta
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Heat a pan with the olive oil and garlic and fry for a few minutes then add the onion and mushroom, thyme and salt. Fry for 10 minutes until golden.
- Roll out the filo pastry onto a lined baking tray. Score the border of the pastry and add the onion, mushrooms, feta and tomato. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
More in this series…