Smoked haddock chowder is one of my favourites to cook at home. Turn a rich tasty chowder into a restaurant quality main course with the addition of a piece of beautifully roasted cod fillet.
They stock a massive range of dayboat fish and shellfish from all of Scotland’s shores and the quality is unbelievable.
As a result, they set up a new shop during lockdown to supply the public with high quality fish, and intend to keep it going post coronavirus.
The rapeseed oil I use in this recipe is Scottish cold pressed rapeseed oil produced by Summer Harvest at Ferneyfold Farm near Crieff in Perthshire.
If you like this recipe, then why not try some of our other Comfort Food Friday recipes here.
Roast North Sea Cod with a Smoked Haddock Chowder
- 4 fillets of Cod, skinned
- 50g butter
- Scottish cold pressed rapeseed oil (e.g. Summer Harvest, Perthshire)
- 50g butter
- rapeseed oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 2 leeks, diced and washed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 100g smoked bacon lardons
- 100ml white wine
- 300ml fish stock
- 300ml whole milk
- 300ml double cream
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 150g sweetcorn
- 250g smoked haddock, diced
- 30g chives, finely chopped
- 100g spinach
- Rapeseed oil
- Salt & pepper
- Start by making the chowder. Heat a little rapeseed oil in a large heavy bottomed pan, add the butter and sweat the onion, leek, celery and smoked bacon for 5 minutes over a medium heat.
- Add the white wine and reduce by half, repeat this process with the fish stock. once reduced add the cream, milk, potato and sweetcorn and simmer for 10 minutes.
- After the 10 minutes add the smoked haddock and cook for a further 2 minutes, finish with chives and season to taste.
- Now we can roast the cod. Heat a little rapeseed oil in a frying pan and cook the cod skin side down for 3-4 minutes so it’s nice and golden. Add the butter so its foaming and turn the cod whilst basting in butter for a further 2 minutes and finish with the lemon.
- Lightly wilt the spinach in a hot pan for one minute.
- To plate we put a ring of spinach in the middle of the bowl, chowder all around the spinach and the roasted cod on top of the spinach.