They may only be bitesize but they’re certainly delicious and we have no doubt you’ll be using this breakfast recipe for years to come.
Breakfast is often the meal that’s not really thought too much about over the festive season as Christmas lunch and dinner are usually the ones that get the most focus. But that will soon change once you’ve made these delicious waffle bites.
We also know that the eating of these will take seconds and you’ll likely find yourself whipping up another batch for the next day.
For more inspiration or to find more recipes in our Brunch Box series, take a look here.
Festive waffle bites
- 125g plain flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 230ml buttermilk
- 1 egg
- A few drops of vegetable oil
- 80g medium-fat soft cheese
- 80g mature Cheddar, finely grated
- 1 fig, sliced into 8
- 100g red pepper houmous
- A few cucumber slices
- 30g roasted peppers, from a jar
- Herb sprigs, to garnish
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a large bowl. Add the buttermilk and egg and beat with a whisk to make a smooth batter.
- Leave to stand for 20 minutes. Brush a waffle pan or waffle iron with vegetable oil. Add about 2 tbsp batter to each waffle section and cook for one to two until the underneath is golden brown.
- Turn over to cook the other side. Repeat to make 4 waffles. Cool.
- Cut each waffle into four. Mix the soft cheese and Cheddar together and use to top half the waffle pieces, placing a piece of fig on top.
- Top the rest of the waffles with houmous, cucumber slices and strips of roasted red pepper. Garnish with herb sprigs then serve.
Recipe courtesy of Your Best Ever Christmas Magazine, packed full of Christmas tips and ideas.
More in this series…