Is there anything more comforting than a warm bowl of steaming pasta at the end of a long week?
This roasted red pepper sauce is rich and flavoursome and can be even be used as a topping for a homemade pizza.
You can also switch the parmesan cheese for a vegan alternative – or any other cheese you fancy.
Dreamed up by pickles and preserves experts Opies, if you like to be organised, it’s an ideal meal to batch cook and freeze.
Take a look at our other Comfort Food Friday recipes for more tasty ideas.
Spaghetti and roasted red pepper sauce
- 2 red peppers, halved and deseeded
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 25g capers, finely chopped
- 85ml vegetable stock
- 50g cocktail onions, drained and chopped
- 400g whole wheat spaghetti
- 50g parmesan cheese
- Handful of basil leaves, roughly chopped
- Using a hot grill, roast the peppers, turning regularly for about 20 minutes until the skin turns back.
- Remove, place in a bowl, cover with cling film and allow to cool. You can take off the charred skins and cut them into smaller pieces before frying.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the garlic and capers and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the peppers and continue to fry for a further 3 minutes
- Add the vegetable stock, bring to the boil and allow it to reduce a little.
- Pour the contents of the pan together with the cocktail onions into a blender and whizz until smooth.
- Cook the spaghetti according to packet instructions. Drain and stir in the red pepper sauce.
- Serve sprinkled with parmesan shavings and a handful of basil leaves.