Moray MP Angus Robertson will demand that defence chiefs delay any decision on the future of Kinloss Barracks when parliament resumes next month.
The Ministry of Defence has earmarked the Moray base for closure as part of a massive spending review.
It is expected that an announcement on the whether the barracks will be shut could be made during the first half of September.
But Mr Robertson has confirmed he will press the UK government to postpone any such move when parliamentary recess ends and he returns to Westminster on Monday, September 5.
The politician has backed the Moray Economic Partnership’s campaign for a local consultation to be carried out, prior to any decisions being made.
Mr Robertson said: “It is inconceivable that the UK government would make any decision on the partial or full closure of Kinloss Barracks while parliament is in recess, so the nearest point any announcement could be expected would be early September.
“I will be pressing the MoD to make an early statement in the House of Commons as soon as I can.
“The MoD gave commitments to the local authority there would be consultations with the local community before a decision was reached.
“I plan to seek assurances that it will fulfil those commitments, and that no conclusions will be reached until consultations are completed.”
The MP added he was eager to “work as a team” with Moray Council and other interested parties to fight for the survival of the barracks.
The base is under threat because of an MoD property review designed to reduce the size of the defence estate by 30%, to make savings of £1billion.
Yesterday, Highlands and Islands Enterprise confirmed that work was ongoing on a study aimed at determining the economic impact of the Kinloss Barracks on the wider Moray area.
A spokesman confirmed the report was expected to be finished by late September.
Mr Robertson added: “We need to make a strong and persuasive case to protect facilities such as these, and ensure we put forth the best argument possible for their retention.”
The MoD has insisted that no final decisions have been taken.
Earlier this week, First Minister Nicola Sturgeon branded the potential closure of the base as “unacceptable”.