From how to avoid frightening gulls to lovely lovely butteries, there are some things only Aberdonians truly know.
Wherever you’ve come from, and whether you still live in the Granite City or have moved elsewhere, we’ve highlighted some of the things that people living in Aberdeen learn quickly, but the locals just know.
1) Even in the summer, the weather can turn in a second
It’s always a good idea to carry an umbrella, just in case.
2) You don’t eat food on the go, and if you do, you will always be paranoid
They’re always waiting.
3) If they don’t pinch your food, the gulls will take extreme measures for a snack
Prepare for some wild brawls over an old chip packet.
4) The buttery is an indescribably good treat that never disappoints
Look at that face. Is there any non-Aberdeen treat that could make someone so happy?
5) The colour grey is beautiful
And we have lots (and lots) of it. They don’t call it the Granite City for nothing.
6) Codonas is the only theme park you need
Fun for kids of all ages. If you grew up in Aberdeen, you definitely spent a few Saturdays here – and probably a few birthdays too.
7) The live music is as good as anywhere else in Scotland
And the very best of it doesn’t cost a penny.
8) You must have exact change for the bus – and you will moan about how much it costs
You will moan even more if it’s running late – which it always is.
9) You can speak a different language… ‘Fit?’
Fit like, proud Aberdonian?
10) You buy your fish and chips from a chipper, definitely not a chippy
That goes without saying, surely?
11) This man is royalty
All hail Sir Alex.
12) A headline like this makes you way more excited than it should
It will be the talk of the school (and probably now, office) all week.
13) And when the heatwave comes, the whole city heads for the beach…
Best get out quickly for a good spot.
14) But you’ll still always be prepared for the weather to turn
From sun to snow and back again. Just a typical day in Aberdeen.
15) But at the end of the day, there’s nowhere else you’d rather be