Aberdeen Grammar have cancelled training for three weeks after one of the club’s players tested positive for coronavirus.
The Rubislaw men were in preparations for the return of domestic rugby on October 31 before last week’s decision by Scottish Rugby to delay the campaign until January 31 at the earliest.
They have now been forced to stop training as a precaution after a player developed mild symptoms last weekend.
Head coach Ali O’Connor said: “The player came to training last Thursday and he started developing symptoms on Saturday and tested positive on Sunday.
“That has led to a mandatory two-to-three week shutdown for us.
“We had actually planned to do that anyway with the season being delayed.
“The good news is the player is feeling fine. He has mild symptoms and is recovering well.
“At this stage we have no other causes for concern.
“We were abiding by the protocols and rules and we have been going with the medical advice we have received.
“When we spoke to track and trace about the session they considered it to be low risk for the virus to spread to the other players.”
Grammar have not played a competitive game since March and O’Connor admits he is unsure if a regional league campaign will get under way at the start of the 2021 with Covid-19 cases rising across the country.
He said: “It might be a bonus if we are able to get going in January as there doesn’t seem to be an end to this in sight at the moment.
“We are 15 weeks away from the first game of the season as it stands and it is difficult to keep a bunch of guys ticking over until then with no game for that amount of time.
“We are going to take a three or four week break and we will just have optional, fun training once this shutdown period is over.
“We will then build up to one session a week and then two a week before moving to three sessions a week after Christmas.
“That will give guys a bit of time to recover from the hard work they have already been putting in during pre-season which unfortunately isn’t going to pay off with the reward of any competitive games.
“It was frustrating when the decision was taken to delay the season. I have no idea whether that was the right decision or not, we just have to trust the people in charge are making the right calls and looking at it from a safety-first perspective.
“We would love to be playing games and for everything to be back to normal but we are just going to have to wait it out.”