A cigarette is thought to have been to blame for a small fire in a Shetland hotel in the early hours of this morning.
The fire broke out in a resident’s room at the Islesburgh Hotel in Lerwick at 2.10am.
The resident, who has not been identified, is thought to have been smoking and set fire to the bedclothes.
Though the guest was able to extinguish the fire, the smoke detector and fire alarm were activated.
The resident and the overnight duty manager were evacuated from the building.
The fire service and police attended the scene.
The resident in the affected room suffered minor burns and was taken to the Gilbert Bain Hospital for treatment. There has been some fire damage to the bed, mattress and floor covering.
Islesburgh Hostel remains open for residents as usual.
Dale Smith, Manager said: “We obviously have strict fire procedures in place that were swiftly put into place by our overnight staff member last night. I am pleased that it was a quiet night in the hostel and that the damage is confined to just one room. We do remind all our residents that smoking is prohibited in Islesburgh and will continue to do so in future.”