Changes are being made to the electricity network in the north to prevent a recurrence of the major power cut which hit more than 200,000 properties across the region last month.
And energy giant SSE is to submit a full report on the incident to Highland Council following investigations.
The blackout on April 16 affected 205,000 homes and businesses from Fort William to Orkney and the Western Isles to Moray.
When it hit at 8.30pm, street lights went out, mobile phone masts stopped transmitting and vital radio services monitoring the shipping distress channel were also knocked out.
First Minister Alex Salmond called a meeting of the Scottish Government’s resilience committee by candlelight in Stornoway.
A meeting of the Highlands and Islands Local Resilience Partnership was also held.
Half of those hit by the blackout were reconnected within two hours while others were without power more than four hours later.
SSE said the power cut was caused by a fault in an electronic relay at Knocknagael substation near Inverness which opened circuit breakers to protect the network in the north and west from damage.
A Scottish Hydro Electric transmission spokeswoman said repairs were being carried out on the faulty relay.
She said: “Part of our engineering department are carrying out the investigation into what happened on April 16 and making the necessary changes to ensure this doesn’t happen again.”
She added: “The faulty piece of equipment has been taken out the network and is being repaired. We’re also making changes to how the protective equipment on the network operates which will prevent a recurrence of this issue.”
Highland Council chief executive Steve Barron told councillors this week that SSE would submit a report regarding the incident.
Black Isle councillor Isobel McCallum said the power cut was a “catastrophic failure in the Highlands and beyond” and asked if the SSE report would come before the council.
She added: “Will we get a representative from SSE to present it to us because we are all looking for the reassurance that this won’t happen again?”
Mr Barron said the local authority was “very lucky” the impact was not worse and said he was “happy to share the report” but did not confirm whether that would be before the full council or to members.