A preliminary planning hearing on controversial plans to build more than 500 homes near Donald Trump’s north-east golf course will take place next month.
The Trump Estate, which was unveiled in July, includes proposals to build luxury housing and 50 hotel cottages, at Menie, near Balmedie.
It came with predictions of 2,000 construction jobs, almost 300 full-time posts and £250 million for the region’s economy.
There has been a groundswell of opposition to the plans, with old wounds reopened between anti-golf course campaigners and Trump International Golf Links.
More than 3,000 people have objected to proposals from the local area as well across the world.
The pre-determination hearing will give objectors and supporters the chance to air their views to councillors, as well as representatives from the Trump organisation, to help inform their decision at a later date.
The majority of the responses accepted by Aberdeenshire Council were objections.
Opponents also submitted 3,026 official letters of objection.
>> Keep up to date with the latest news with The P&J newsletter
Among the concerns are that the plans do not include affordable or social housing, that they would fail to attract much-needed nurses and teachers to the area and would not be suitable for young families.
An online petition has also attracted almost 19,000 signatures.
But the Trump organisation has previously branded the objections as “politically motivated and vexatious”.
Sarah Malone, vice-president, also said the project had “tremendous support regionally, nationally and internationally”.
Aberdeenshire Council has also said it would want £5 million in contributions towards housing in the Ellon Academy catchment area if the scheme is approved.
A total of £500,000 would be paid to the council on the completion of every 50 homes in the 500-house scheme.
It is understood that the developer is required to provide 125 affordable homes as part of the scheme.
NHS Grampian, meanwhile, has said that the developer would have to pay for a new health facility in Ellon.
David Milne is one of the objectors who has asked to speak at the hearing.
He has previously said the application represents a “cynical” attempt to bypass sanctions which state private homes should only be built after the holiday cottages.
“This is just another example of the developer trying to take the absolute mickey out of Aberdeenshire Council,” he said.
“What they are asking for is not contained within the original planning agreement or the local development plan.
“Surely the council must have learned by now, they have been bitten before.”
A site visit will take place prior to the hearing on December 12, which starts at 6pm in the academy – but it is not open to the public.
Anyone who has submitted a valid response to the application and want to address councillors at the hearing email firstname.lastname@example.org before December 5.