The NHS has issued advice to all Aberdeenshire residents who have a private water supply that may have been affected by flooding.
The health service statement said: “If your water is a private supply such as a well or spring, then check that it has not been affected by floodwater. If a private well or spring has been covered by floodwater, proceed with caution and contact Aberdeenshire Council for advice – by calling 01467 628153.
“While waiting for an answer or if you are in doubt, assume the water is unsafe to drink and source bottled water.”
Boiling water kills pathogenic bacteria, viruses and parasites but does not remove harmful chemicals, which is why using bottled water is recommended.