A hero fisherman ran into a blazing house to rescue a neighbour.
Charlie McDonald rushed to help after his wife Lyndsay raised the alarm when she saw smoke pouring from the property in Rosehearty.
Mr McDonald went inside and was able to pull the man to safety.
The occupant of the house was taken to Fraserburgh Hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation.
Last night, modest Mr McDonald tried to play-down his role in the drama and said his wife deserved the credit for raising the alarm so quickly.
Last year, the 45-year-old cook was commended by the Royal Humane Society after saving a crewmate from bleeding to death.
He was working on the Banff-registered Fruitful Vine 50 miles south-east of Peterhead when Paul Buchan’s leg became caught in a rope and mangled.
Surgeons later had to operate twice and amputate his leg above the knee and they praised the quick-thinking of Mr McDonald, who tied a tourniquet around the remains of Mr Buchan’s leg to stem the bleeding and save his life.
Mr McDonald, who also received a Pride of Aberdeenshire award for his efforts, said the fire drama in Rosehearty’s Dundarg Road could have been worse if his wife had not reacted so quickly.
He said that as he went into the burning house there was “thick, black smoke coming out the front door”.
He added: “Me and my wife both ran over, but you couldn’t see your hand in front of your face.
“She noticed the curtains and blinds were on fire and started screaming for us to get out, so I grabbed him and physically hauled him into his front garden.
“The whole front window was in flames, then we heard the crack and it blew out. The flames spread out everywhere within seconds.”
Mr McDonald’s wife, meanwhile, alerted fire crews and police who responded within minutes.
Mr McDonald said he had tried to visit his neighbour in hospital but he was released after treatment and is understood to be staying with relatives as he recovers from his ordeal.
He said: “I’m just glad that everyone is safe. It’s a shame, and I feel for them that their properties have been damaged, but at least no one is seriously injured.
“I don’t feel as if I saved a life, really. I just got him out of the house.”
Three fire crews – two from Fraserburgh and one from Maud – were sent to the scene after the fire was reported on Thursday afternoon.
A spokeswoman for the fire service said 19 firefighters took about 90 minutes to bring the blaze under control.
They remained at the scene for another hour to make sure the scene was safe.
A police spokeswoman said: “One person was taken by ambulance to Fraserburgh Hospital.”