An all-out strike due to start tomorrow by north-east bus drivers has been suspended after First Aberdeen made a fresh offer.
The company announced they had been successful with a last-ditch attempt to avoid strike action.
First Aberdeen managing director Andrew Jarvis said: “First Aberdeen have today been successful with a last-ditch attempt to avoid indefinite strike action tomorrow via a full and final offer made to our Unite the Union colleagues.
“This revised offer was made to Unite the Union by the Company on the condition that the industrial action planned be immediately suspended and the offer be put to Unite members via a further consultative workplace ballot.
“We are happy to report that the trade union representatives have not only agreed to these terms, but will also be recommending this offer to their members and the planned action for Wednesday has now been suspended pending the ballot.
“This offer is the absolute maximum that the company can sustain and cannot be revised any further due to the financial challenges. We now await the outcome of a second ballot with interest, which, we understand will now take place over the course of Wednesday and Thursday.
“Customers can now be assured that services will run to a normal timetable and we are hopeful that this final offer will be voted for by our staff to bring an end to this dispute.”
One Aberdeen driver pulled over his number 23 bus to announce the strike action had been suspended.
Press and Journal reporter Frances Rougvie said: “He pulled up and got out of his seat to tell us the strike had been suspended.
“Very weird that he did that but helpful to let us all know.”