A bowling club which has repeatedly been targeted by vandals was left in ruins last night after a fire.
The roof of the former Grandholm Bowling Club in Bridge of Don collapsed as flames engulfed the building.
The club was established in 1920, but members were forced to stop using the venue last year after youths repeatedly broke into it and caused damage.
Firefighters were called to the scene at about 4pm yesterday but could not save the abandoned structure, with the blaze described as “well-developed” hours later.
A height appliance was sent from the city’s Central Station and firefighters doused the smouldering ruins from above, while a water carrier was summoned from Stonehaven to offer assistance.
Police officers were called to the spot to seal off a stretch of Grandholm Drive as firefighters did their best to quell the flames.
A spokeswoman for the fire service confirmed that the operation was scaled down at about 6.30pm, though she advised that firefighters would remain at the scene “damping down” hotspots late into the night.
It is the second time in recent weeks a fire has broken out at the building, with crews called out last month too.
The pensioners who enjoyed playing bowls there closed it down last March, following four instances of fire-raising and break-ins since the end of November 2016.
Speaking at the time Eric Jamieson, president of the club, blamed the “hassle” of constantly having to arrange repairs.
He said: “They’ve done so much damage and left us with no equipment – there’s nothing left to carry on.
“We’ve no longer got the facilities for us to meet with our friends and play bowls.
“It just seems ridiculous they can do this to pensioners who like to enjoy their summers playing bowls.”