A suspected gas leak at an Aberdeen school forced hundreds pupils to go home yesterday morning.
The alarm was raised at Aberdeen Grammar School shortly before 9am following reports of a smell of gas in the building.
Pupils and teachers were quickly evacuated from the Skene Street premises and the city council made the decision to close the school until the situation was resolved.
Parents of youngsters who attend the school were sent text messages shortly after 9am to tell them that the school was shut and their children would be sent home for the day.
Gas engineers from SGN were sent to investigate the issue and ensure the building was safe for children, teachers and other staff to return to.
After the first alarming smell was reported, the gas was shut off as a precaution.
Last night, a spokesman for the city council said the school should be open again today.
He said: “Aberdeen Grammar School was closed to pupils yesterday following a suspected gas escape in the building.
“It was detected after pupils had started to arrive for the day.
“The gas was immediately isolated and as a precaution arrangements were made for all pupils to be sent home.
“Our building services team were soon on site and our term maintenance gas contractor was called out.”
The spokesman said tests had been undertaken to identify the source of the escape and necessary repairs carried out before the gas supply was reinstated.
A spokesman for SGN said gas engineers were contacted as soon as the incident was reported.
He said: “We attended Aberdeen Grammar School following reports of a small of gas.
“Our engineers were called in our capacity as the national gas emergency service and the school made the decision to evacuate staff and students as a precaution.
“Our engineers have completed safety checks and made the area safe.
“There was nothing to suggest the smell of gas was coming from our network.”