It was a tragedy which they will never forget.
But now, an Inverness couple who lost their six-month-old daughter have found solace from trying to help others going through the same ordeal.
Stacey Melville, 26 and Gavin McQuillan, 36, were left heartbroken after losing young Calleigh in February 2016.
Born prematurely at 26 weeks, and weighing less than 18 ounces, Calleigh proved strong enough to be moved to Raigmore Hospital in Inverness after five months.
However, after overcoming a subsequent bronchitis scare to celebrate her first Christmas at home in 2015, the baby suffered a cardiac arrest after choking while in the car with her parents.
Despite being rushed to the children’s unit at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, she died on February 5.
Yesterday, the couple returned to the neonatal unit at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary where Calleigh was born.
They were handing over a Cuddle Cot which they had raised funds for with the help of friends and family, including kids Thomas, eight, Megan, six and Caleb, two.
The Cuddle Cot, which cost £1,600, is a Moses basket containing a cooling mattress that prevents the baby’s body from deteriorating, and can be placed in a cot or even a pram.
It allows parents to stay with their loved ones for days or even weeks before their funeral, hugging them, dressing them and taking them out for walks.
>> Keep up to date with the latest news with The P&J newsletter
Having raised more than £2,000 from their fundraising efforts, which included a sponsored walk and bingo night, the remaining money was used for gift bags to help families at the neonatal unit in Aberdeen and the Special Care Baby Unit at Raigmore Hospital in Inverness.
Mr McQuillan said: “It will give families the extra time to spend with their children – we never got the chance to use one with Calleigh.
Ms Melville added: “It has helped a lot, knowing that this piece of equipment will help another family get that time with their baby.
“It feels like Calleigh has left a legacy.
“Thomas did the walk – Caleb and Megan couldn’t do it because it was too long for them, but they helped out at the bingo.
“I think the kids really got something out of being a part of it, and the local community have really supported us as well.”