A fire caused by faulty equipment in an electrical substation sparked an emergency in Aberdeen yesterday – and left nearly 850 homes without power.
The blaze at the substation in Caiesdykes Crescent was reported to firefighters shortly before 11am.
But the small fire was out by the time crews from the Altens fire station arrived at the scene.
Two fire engines were called to Kincorth street at 10.55am, but after carrying out an inspection were stood down within 15 minutes.
Properties in the surrounding area including Caiesdykes Road, Buchanan Road, Gardner Drive, Cairngorm Drive and Matthews Road were without electricity for around two hours, according to SSE.
A spokesman said engineers had managed to reconnect all 845 affected properties by 12.50pm.
The power supply was re-routed to bypass the substation to allow repair work to take place.
The spokesman added: “The outage was caused by a faulty piece of equipment catching fire. Engineers were sent to the substation to deal with it.
“There was no significant damage and no one was hurt.”