The creation of a permanent safety barrier on Union Bridge will form the first stage of a massive revamp of a popular Aberdeen park.
Contractors will begin a £25.7 million overhaul of Union Terrace Gardens on Monday.
Elected representatives and mental health campaigners have pleaded for the local authority to prioritise the creation of a new barrier along Union Bridge as part of the scheme, following a spate of deaths at the spot.
At present, there are only metal railing at the scene – which have been adorned with messages of hope in recent months.
Yesterday, the council confirmed that the safety measure would be built as “part of the first stage of project work”.
Midstocket and Rosemount SNP councillor, Bill Cormie, has been among those calling for the 8ft high barrier to be installed.
Mr Cormie last night welcomed the move, which he said “should have been done years ago”.
He added: “This will be a great relief to many people across the city.”
Workers from Balfour Beatty are expected to spend about six weeks setting up equipment, with pavements around certain parts of the park being closed.
As part of the project, elevated walkways, new pavilions, an event space and play facilities will be created.
And extensive planting will take place to increase biodiversity within the Victorian park.
There are also plans to install bars and restaurants into the arches and old toilets, adding fresh life to the area.
The slip road onto Union Terrace from Rosemount Viaduct, which will become the site of one of three new pavilions, was closed at the end of last month in advance of the work starting.
Councillor and spokeswoman for the authority’s City Centre Masterplan, Marie Boulton, said the beginning of work was a “momentous occasion” for Aberdeen.
She said: “Union Terrace Gardens has had many schemes designed over many decades, but none have come to fruition.
“That is why it is such a momentous occasion to see this design, which started as a blank piece of paper and was created following input from the public, finally beginning.”
More from the Press and Journal
- Traders’ ‘biggest relief ever’ as dates set for further Spaces For People removal in Aberdeen
- Spaces For People: Three weeks of work planned for George Street removal
- Fears wildflower plans will leave Aberdeen green a ‘wasteland’ as grass cutting stopped
- Police uncover ‘no crime’ in UTG Granite-gate investigation