A Moray man has been banned from the roads for six years after driving dangerously through the streets of Aberdeen.
At the city’s sheriff court yesterday, James Sutherland admitted tearing through Bridge of Don at excessive speed early on the morning of August 23 last year.
Police witnessed the offshore worker driving dangerously in Whitestripes Avenue, Jesmond Drive and Ashwood Park, fiscal depute Brian Young said.
The court heard Sutherland “put his car in gear and drove off” as police approached his stationary Audi S3, showing “disregard” for the rules of the road.
The 34-year-old, of James Street, Buckie, also pleaded guilty to driving on a roundabout in the wrong direction and on the opposite carriageway and failing to comply with give way signs.
His solicitor, Gail Goodfellow, said her client travelled to Aberdeen to stay at a friend’s home the previous night, ahead of flying offshore for work at 6am.
That plan had fallen through and Sutherland, who was on bail, was trying to book a hotel when police approached his car.
“He panicked,” the solicitor added.
“He accepts his behaviour was irresponsible and he does apologise for that.”
Sheriff William Summers said Sutherland’s driving was “quite extraordinarily dangerous”.
He added: “It is more to do with good fortune that no one was injured.”
Disqualified from holding a driving licence for six years, Sutherland will have to pass an extended test before getting behind the wheel again.
He was also ordered to carry out 210 hours of unpaid work.