Secondary school pupils from across the north and north-east have secured £130,000 of funding for charities in their communities.
Through The Wood Foundation’s Youth and Philanthropy Initiative (YPI), young people from throughout the country advocated for causes close to their hearts in a bid to secure individual grants of £3,000 for their chosen organisations.
A total of £56,000 was secured for Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire charities, £51,000 for Highland organisations and £23,000 for those in Moray.
In Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire, mental health was a common cause being championed, with more than 30% of successful charities focused on that issue.
In the Highlands, mental health was also prevalent with a quarter of winning charities helping struggling people.
For their entry, a Dingwall Academy team created an emotive video compiled of poetry and spoken word raising awareness of domestic violence – and were able to receive a grant for Ross-shire Women’s Aid.
Other local charities to receive funding include Ullapool High School’s chosen charity, Assynt Mountain Rescue, Mearns Academy’s choice of Pillar Kincardine, Banff Academy’s chosen charity Home-Start Deveron and Keith Grammar’s charity Abbie’s Sparkle Foundation.
Jonathan Christie, deputy UK director at The Wood Foundation, added: “The sums secured by young people for local communities is incredible.
“The issue of mental health has been particularly prevalent in the region, showing this is something young people want to talk about and address in a supportive and meaningful way.”
Last night Astrid Whyte of Mental Health Aberdeen, which won four grants, said she was “delighted” and praised the work of pupils.
To see the chosen charities for all north and north-east charities, read below:
- Mental Health Aberdeen – Aberdeen Albyn School
- AFC Community Trust – Banchory Academy
- SAMH – Alford Academy
- Home-Start Deveron – Banff Academy
- Belhelvie Community Trust – Ellon Academy
- Friends of the Neonatal Unit – Hazlehead Academy
- Apex Scotland – Inverurie Academy
- Friends of the Neonatal Unit – Mackie Academy
- Pillar Kincardine – Mearns Academy
- Mental Health Aberdeen – Northfield Academy
- Kayleigh’s Wee Stars – Peterhead Academy
- Mental Health Aberdeen – Portlethen Academy
- Grampian Women’s Aid – St Machar Academy
- Befriend a Child – St Margaret’s School
- Friends of Insch Hospital – The Gordon Schools
- Penumbra – The International School Aberdeen
- Clan Cancer Support – Turriff Academy
- Mental Health Aberdeen – Westhill Academy
- Alzheimer Scotland – Buckie High School
- Abbie’s Sparkle Foundation – Keith Grammar
- Moray Women’s Aid – Elgin Academy
- Quarriers – Forres Academy
- Moray Monday Club – Gordonstoun School
- RNLI – Lossiemouth High School
- Moray Riding for the Disabled – Milne’s High School
- Ross-shire Women’s Aid – Alness Academy
- Care Lochaber – Ardnamurchan High School
- Spirit Advocacy – Hug Highland – Charleston Academy
- Assynt Mountain Rescue – Dornoch Academy
- Glenurquhart Care Project – Glen Urquhart High School
- Tykes – Golspie High School
- Boleskine Community Care – Kilchiumen Academy
- Care Lochaber – Lochaber High School
- This Is Me Highland – Millburn Academy
- Search and Rescue Dogs Association – Portree High School
- Maggies Highland – Tain Royal Academy
- Assynt Mountain Rescue – Ullapool High School
- Friends of Thor – Wick High School
- Mikeysline – Dingwall Academy
- Ross-shire Womens Aid – Dingwall Academy
- Thurso Community Development Trust -Thurso High School