A takeaway boss was taken to hospital yesterday to be treated for burns to his arms after a fire broke out in his kitchen.
Four crews attended The Peking Garden Chinese on Aberdeen’s Great Northern Road after the Scottish Fire & Rescue Service received a 999 call around 12.30pm.
Fire fighters used a height vehicle to enter a property above the takeaway, while other crew members used a hose reel jet and breathing apparatus to tackle the flames on the ground floor.
A stretch of Great Northern Road from the roundabout at St Machar Drive to near the Haudagain was closed as emergency services gained access to the building.
At the scene yesterday, shocked employees said they no idea what had happened to cause the fire.
Police had no record of any casualties, however a spokeswoman for the business said the owner had suffered burns to his arms and had been taken to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary.
“The boss was here and was hurt from the fire – he is at accident & emergency. We think his arms were burnt,” she said.
“We’re not sure how serious it was, but at least he got out.
“It could have been much worse. The main thing is everyone managed to get out OK.”
As the crews left the scene after dampening down the burning equipment and using thermal imaging cameras to identify remaining hot spots, employees closed the shutter to hide any damage inside.
The takeaway spokeswoman said: “I can’t say everything is fine because we don’t know the full damage.
“Nothing was damaged upstairs, thank goodness for that. It is just the kitchen.
“The property will be able to get fixed – the main thing is everyone is OK. It could have been much more serious.
“When you see so many fire engines, you think the worst.”