Man who assaulted girlfriend hours after buying her engagement ring admits stalking her

Robert Littlejohn leaving Aberdeen Sheriff Court

A man who assaulted his girlfriend hours after buying her an engagement ring has appeared back in the dock for stalking her.

Robert Littlejohn was banned from contacting Sharon Riley when he bombarded her with abusive voicemails over the course of 24 hours.

The 46-year-old, who was on bail at the time accused of breaking into her house, repeatedly shouted and swore in the messages and on one occasion called her a “bunny boiler”.

Yesterday, Littlejohn appeared at Aberdeen Sheriff Court and admitted behaving in a way that would cause his ex-partner fear and alarm on March 30 and 31.

Fiscal depute Jennifer Pritchard said: “The accused and the complainer were in a relationship for approximately five years which was on and off between 2011 and 2015.

“At around 2.40pm on March 30, 2016 the complainer received voicemails from the accused. The messages were related to the accused wanting to have his property returned.

“The accused shouted and swore repeatedly. Between then and 8.50pm on March 31 the complainer received a further seven voice messages from the accused. During these messages he was heard to say ‘you are just a bunny boiler’.”

Solicitor Paul Barnett said Littlejohn had appeared in court in December accused of house breaking, and that since then he had been under instructions not to contact Miss Riley.

However, he was keen to get his belongings back.

Mr Barnett said the Crown had since dropped the accusations of housebreaking.

Sheriff Alison Stirling ordered that the unemployed plumber carry out 75 hours of unpaid work in the next three months.

In December 2013, Littlejohn, of Flat A 52 Esslemont Avenue, Aberdeen, admitted knocking out Miss Riley’s tooth by punching her around 10 to 12 times.

At the time he was on a community pay back order for assaulting her on the High Street, Inverurie, only moments after he had purchased her an engagement ring.