A north-east school was closed to pupils and staff yesterday following a gas leak.
Newtonhill Primary School was shut after being left without heating, hot water or the means to cook up food for youngsters.
Last night gas distribution network company, SGN, said they were called out at 9.30am in response to a “small gas leak” at the meter supplying the school.
The firm added it was forced to switch off the gas supply to the primary, and carried out a safety check.
Engineers were said to be working overnight in the hope that the school could reopen today.
Yesterday Katie Lobban, spokeswoman for SGN said: “We were called to Newtonhill Primary School in St Michaels Road this morning at approximately 9.30am.
“Our engineer arrived quickly and a small gas leak was discovered at the meter.
“For safety reasons, our engineer turned the gas supply off to the building, carried out safety checks and left shortly after.”
Aberdeenshire Council’s head of resources and performance, Craig Clement, added: “An issue with the gas supply along the street from Newtonhill School has left the building without any heating, hot water or capacity to make school lunches.
“We’ve therefore taken the decision to close the school for the rest of the day and will update parents once the issue has been resolved.”