Work on a major upgrade on a north-east railway line is on track, according to a transport operator.
The Aberdeen to Dyce line has been shut since May to allow for improvement of the section, with work running 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
The work, which is taking place over 14 weeks, is now more than half complete, with Network Rail saying things are “going well and on time.”
They are part of an ambitious programme to double track the line between Aberdeen and Inverness.
— El Stoobie (@stuart_douglas) July 6, 2018
By the time the work is finished next month, 12 miles of rail will have been laid, as well as work on more than 20,000 sleepers and the replacing or refurbishing of five bridges along the line.
The bridge at Dyce was demolished in mid-June and a new wider bridge was installed.
Extensive ground work has also been carried out at Kittybrewster, Woodside, Bucksburn and Stoneywood.
A spokesman for Network Rail said: “Once complete, the project will provide a daytime hourly commuter service between Inverness and Elgin by December 2018.
“Also, there will be a half-hourly service between Aberdeen and Inverurie by the end of 2019, and it will increase end-to-end services to an hourly frequency in the longer term.”
By August 2019, Network Rail is also looking to install a second track and signalling equipment between Dyce and Inverurie.
It would also see the current signal boxes removed.
— ScotRail (@ScotRail) June 5, 2018
Colin Clark, MP for Gordon, said: “I recently visited the project sites in Inverurie, Kintore and Stoneywood and I have been very impressed with the work so far.
“It is a huge and complicated operation.
“The project has meant long periods of disruption to services, which can be very frustrating but people will have to be patient.
“The end result will be a greatly-improved service, with more frequent trains and greater capacity.”
The Aberdeen to Dyce route is expected to be closed until August 20.