A row has broken out between Trump International and planners after it emerged a final decision on its £150 million development had been pushed back.
Aberdeenshire Council confirmed yesterday that the proposals for 550 homes at Menie Estate, Balmedie would no longer be discussed by the Formartine area committee next week.
This also means a final decision by the full council, scheduled for next month, will now not take place until later in the year.
Planners claimed the delay was caused by Trump International Golf Links Scotland submitting fresh information, however the organisation has fired back and branded that a “gross misrepresentation” of the facts.
A spokesman for Aberdeenshire Council said: “The Menie application will not be discussed at the forthcoming Formartine area committee on February 12.
“This is due to the applicant submitting further, late, information which the service wishes to fully assess and to ensure that all members considering this proposal have the same level of information.
“It was intended that full council would determine this application at its meeting in March, taking the views of local councillors into account, but following discussion with the applicant a decision on the application is not now likely until later in the year.”
>> Keep up to date with the latest news with The P&J newsletter
The scheme includes 500 homes and 50 additional holiday cottages plus shopping and food and drink outlets.
But Sarah Malone, executive vice-president of Trump International, said last night: “The council’s statement is a gross misrepresentation of the facts and handling of our application. The reason the Formartine area committee hearing has been deferred until its next scheduled meeting is due to the council’s inability to convene a design review panel meeting until the 22nd of January, more than four months after the validation of our application.
“In addition the roads and transport department have only just requested new surveys and analysis which could and would have been provided months ago. Our understanding is that the application will still go to area and full committee in March with all conceivable information in the hands of the council.”
A pre-determination hearing was held in November, where old disputes re-surfaced between Trump International and campaigners.
Opponents have claimed the developer has broken its promise to build a hotel and second golf course as well as holiday accommodation.
Meanwhile Trump International has threatened to walk away from further investment in the region if the plans are not approved.
A petition calling upon Aberdeenshire Council to reject the plans was launched last year and has gained in excess of 16,000 signatures.
Around 3,000 formal objections have also been submitted to the local authority’s planning department.