A former 19th century former blacksmiths is to be fitted with a new sign to help bring it back to life.
The Old Smiddy, a C Listed building in the village of Kincardine O’Neil, dates back to 1873.
The building lay empty for a number of years, but has recently been home to a number of pop-up shops and activities for the surrounding community.
Owned by the Kincardine Estate, the shop is made available at low cost for short term lets for local traders.
Its current sign – red in colour with black letters that spell out The Old Smiddy in an art deco style font – is in need of an upgrade.
Kincardine Estate submitted plans to Aberdeenshire Council to create a new sign.
The replacement will be smaller and use a more “traditional font” and be in Balmoral Green in keeping with the village’s other signs.
Aberdeenshire Council has approved planning permission for the project, noting the current sign is “badly weathered and the paint is clearly peeling” and that its replacement would “improve the overall appearance” of the historic building.