Transport Secretary Michael Matheson has admitted that “further measures” may be considered to finally find a solution to landslips at the Rest and Be Thankful.
He signalled that additional investment could be considered at an A83 task force meeting which will be convened on November 15.
The Argyll road reopened last week after being closed for nine days when 3,000 tonnes of debris came down the hillside amid torrential rain, leaving some motorists facing a 58-mile diversion.
It was the biggest landslide at the Rest and Be Thankful in at least a decade, and MSPs yesterday demanded action to resolve the issue permanently.
Conservative MSP Maurice Corry said: “If the most recent landslide had occurred hours later, there could well have been fatalities.”
Labour MSP Jackie Baillie, who secured a topical question on the issue at Holyrood, said: “The consequences of each closure for the local economy and local people are hugely significant.
“Many people now believe that a permanent solution is needed.”
Mr Matheson said that £69million had been invested in the road since 2007, including £11million on landslide mitigation measures at the Rest and Be Thankful and on the local old military road diversion.
He added: “I recognise the significant inconvenience for and frustration of the people in Argyll and Bute who are affected by the closure of the A83 at the Rest and Be Thankful, which is to be regretted.
“A significant amount of work has been undertaken to implement mitigation measures, which have had an impact on the site.
“In the past couple of years, nets have prevented closure of the route where that would have happened in the past.
“However, given the events of the past couple of weeks, we clearly need to revisit the issue.”
The SNP minister added that he was “open to looking at whether further measures need to be taken to address the issue permanently”, and that if they were identified, he would “make every possible effort to ensure that they are realised”.