Highland Council’s Environmental Health team has identified raised levels of naturally occurring algal toxins following routine monitoring in coastal waters at Inner Loch Torridon.
Eating shellfish such as cockles, mussels, oysters or razor fish from these areas may pose a health risk arising from the consumption of these algal toxins, the local authority said in a statement.
As a sensible precaution, people should avoid eating shellfish from this area (along the shore between Sheildaig and Inveralligin) until further notice.
It is important to note that cooking does not remove risks from consumption. Commercial shellfish harvesters in the area have been contacted by the council.