Almost 100 children attending a west Highland school were evacuated this afternoon when it was discovered that the school’s chimney was dangerous.
Pupils attending Mallaig primary and nursery schools in Lochaber were moved to the nearby church hall at 2pm today.
And they are now going to get an extra day off this Christmas as their school will remain closed tomorrow, which is the last day of term.
A spokeswoman for Highland Council said structural defects had been found in the chimney so it was closed “for the health and safety of pupils and staff”.
She said: “The council has arranged for an inspection and any necessary works to be carried out the make the building safe.
“Scaffolding will be erected tomorrow and inspection works carried out on Monday.
“It is not yet known what works will be required, however, the matter will be addressed during the school holiday break.”
She was unable to say whether it would be repaired in time for the start of the new term on Monday January 5.