A beach in the Outer Hebrides has been named one of the top ten stretches of sand in the UK.
Luskentyre is on the spectacular west coast of South Harris.
It is famous for its white sands, which run for miles, and the green-blue waters which lap on to its shores.
Now travellers from across Britain have placed it at number eight in the national beaches chart.
One TripAdvisor reviewer who visited recently said: “The beach at Luskentyre is one of the best ever.
“The sand is white and glorious and the sea is a stunning colour. You’ll virtually have the beach to yourselves, and even if there are others on it, you can be as far away from them as you wish.
“It’s fair to say that it’s a special place.”
Nairn Beach took 13th place, while Durness Beach and Calgary Bay off the Isle of Mull came 19th and 20th respectively. Arisaig’s Camusdarach Beach and Kiloran Beach off the Isle of Colonsay placed 24th and 25th respectively.
Mike Cantlay, chairman of VisitScotland, said last night: “This is another superb accolade for Luskentyre beach, but its inclusion on the list of best UK beaches is not surprising.
“Its white sands, coupled with spectacular scenery, make it hugely popular among visitors and locals alike.
“The Outer Hebrides is a beautiful part of the world and VisitScotland, in partnership with the local authority Comhairle nan Eilean Siar, recently launched a brand new marketing campaign to promote the region.
“This Travellers’ Choice Beaches Award will help to further raise the profile of Luskentyre and of Harris, encouraging even more people to visit.”
Europe’s top beach was Rabbit beach at Lampedusa in Italy.
Top beach in the world was Baia do Sancho in Brazil’s Fernando de Noronha island chain.
Top 10 UK beaches:
1. Woolacombe Beach, Devon
2. Weymouth Beach, Dorset
3. Rhossili Bay, Swansea
4. St. Brelade’s Bay Beach, Jersey
5. Porthminster Beach, St Ives, Cornwall
6. Perranporth Beach, Cornwall
7. Fistral Beach, Newquay, Cornwall
8. Luskentyre, Isle of Harris, Scotland
9. Hengistbury Head, Bournemouth, Dorset
10. Sandbanks, Poole, Dorset
Top 10 European beaches:
1. Rabbit Beach, Lampedusa, Italy
2. Playa de Ses Illetes, Formentera, Spain
3. Elafonissi Beach, Elafonissi, Greece
4. Woolacombe Beach, Devon
5. Iztuzu Beach, Dalyan, Turkey
6. Fig Tree Bay, Protaras, Cyprus
7. Cala Rossa, Favignana, Italy
8. Weymouth Beach, Dorset
9. Eggremni Beach, Lefkada Greece
10. Playa de Bolonia, Tarifa, Spain