Fire crews were called to Eastgate Shopping Centre after receiving reports of smoke coming from one of the shops.
The alarm was raised at around 1.40pm and two pumps were sent from Inverness.
The smoke was reported to be coming from the New Look shop and the centre was evacuated while firefighters dealt with the incident.
The centre re-opened a short while later.
A spokesman for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said an electrician later joined the crews and fixed the issue. She said it was “something overheating”.