Nicola Sturgeon has been challenged to explain why there has never been a judge-led probe into the deaths of three RAF Tornado air-crew in a 2012 tragedy.
Moray MP Douglas Ross wrote to the first minister after hearing the concerns of constituent Jimmy Jones, a former RAF officer who has been campaigning for a fatal accident inquiry (FAI) into the collision.
Two lord advocates have rejected calls for an FAI into the deaths of Squadron Leader Sam Bailey, 36, Flight Lieutenant Hywel Poole, 28, and Flight Lieutenant Adam Sanders, 27.
The RAF Lossiemouth-based crew died in bad weather on July 3, 2012, when two Tornado jets collided while on separate training missions off Helmsdale.
A Military Aviation Authority (MAA) inquiry into the incident found that there were 17 contributory factors and the lord advocate decided an FAI would “not add” to its findings and recommendations.
But Mr Jones, local politicians and some members of the bereaved families have continued to argue for a court hearing so that lessons can be learned.
>> Keep up to date with the latest news with The P&J newsletter
This month, the P&J reported that Mr Jones argument the failure to hold an FAI may have breached the European Convention on Human Rights appeared to have been confirmed by the distinguished judge, Lord Cullen.
Lord Cullen, who led inquiries into the Piper Alpha disaster and the Dunblane school shooting, said: “The fact that a fatal accident inquiry was not mandatory did not mean that one could not be required.”
In his letter, Mr Ross said: “Mr Jones has been vociferous in his belief that the lack of a proper inquiry increases the potential for a similar accident in the future.
“He is of the belief that the failure to address ‘the systemic failure of a risk assessment process’ by an independent fatal accident inquiry has resulted in a cavalier approach towards installation of collision warning systems in Typhoon aircraft.”
Mr Ross added: “In short, my constituent would like an explanation as to why the lord advocate has not yet convened an FAI.”
Despite the letter, the Scottish Government and the Crown Office declined to comment last night.
Earlier this month, a Crown Office spokesman said: “There was a detailed investigation into this tragedy by the Military Aviation Authority.
“Following the Crown’s investigation, Crown Counsel carefully considered the full circumstances and concluded that a fatal accident inquiry would not add to the Military Aviation Authority investigation.
“Indeed, the service inquiry report contained conclusions and recommendations which are more wide ranging than could be expected from a fatal accident inquiry.”