Calendar An icon of a desk calendar. Cancel An icon of a circle with a diagonal line across. Caret An icon of a block arrow pointing to the right. Email An icon of a paper envelope. Facebook An icon of the Facebook "f" mark. Google An icon of the Google "G" mark. Linked In An icon of the Linked In "in" mark. Logout An icon representing logout. Profile An icon that resembles human head and shoulders. Telephone An icon of a traditional telephone receiver. Tick An icon of a tick mark. Is Public An icon of a human eye and eyelashes. Is Not Public An icon of a human eye and eyelashes with a diagonal line through it. Pause Icon A two-lined pause icon for stopping interactions. Quote Mark A opening quote mark. Quote Mark A closing quote mark. Arrow An icon of an arrow. Folder An icon of a paper folder. Breaking An icon of an exclamation mark on a circular background. Camera An icon of a digital camera. Caret An icon of a caret arrow. Clock An icon of a clock face. Close An icon of the an X shape. Close Icon An icon used to represent where to interact to collapse or dismiss a component Comment An icon of a speech bubble. Comments An icon of a speech bubble, denoting user comments. Ellipsis An icon of 3 horizontal dots. Envelope An icon of a paper envelope. Facebook An icon of a facebook f logo. Camera An icon of a digital camera. Home An icon of a house. Instagram An icon of the Instagram logo. LinkedIn An icon of the LinkedIn logo. Magnifying Glass An icon of a magnifying glass. Search Icon A magnifying glass icon that is used to represent the function of searching. Menu An icon of 3 horizontal lines. Hamburger Menu Icon An icon used to represent a collapsed menu. Next An icon of an arrow pointing to the right. Notice An explanation mark centred inside a circle. Previous An icon of an arrow pointing to the left. Rating An icon of a star. Tag An icon of a tag. Twitter An icon of the Twitter logo. Video Camera An icon of a video camera shape. Speech Bubble Icon A icon displaying a speech bubble WhatsApp An icon of the WhatsApp logo. Information An icon of an information logo. Plus A mathematical 'plus' symbol. Duration An icon indicating Time. Success Tick An icon of a green tick. Success Tick Timeout An icon of a greyed out success tick. Loading Spinner An icon of a loading spinner.

Charity trade union calls for Moray Council rate relief axe u-turn

Moray Council's Elgin headquarters.
Moray Council's Elgin headquarters.

A leading charity shop membership body has called on Moray Council to reverse its decision to withdraw the business rate aid it has offered stores.

The Charity Retail Association (CRA) represents 85 per cent of charity shops in Scotland and has voiced disappointment about the local authority’s plans to withdraw the discretionary rates relief to 17 sites in the region.

Councillors voted on Tuesday to remove 20 per cent of business rates relief which will save the council £65,000 amid efforts to plug a £14 million budget black hole.

Charity shops become targets as Moray Council pulls cash help for business rates

Robin Osterly, chief executive of the CRA, called on the local authority to make a u-turn.

He said: “It is disappointing that Moray Council has made a choice to withdraw financial support from shops that give so much back to local communities.

“Charity shops across the region raise much needed funds for good causes and cutting their relief is only going to hurt that.

“The council benefits financially from local shops, which divert goods from landfill, saving the council in landfill tax.

“On top of this, charity shops offer volunteer opportunities which reduces social isolation for older people and builds job skills of younger people.


Diamond Meltdown: Click here for your chance to win a ring worth £1000


“The contribution charity shops make to the local economy means the ‘saving’ from this cut could jeopardise the viability of the sector and cost the council more in the long run.

“I’d urge the council to keep the business rates support in place and protect the long term future of charity retail in Moray.”

All registered charities are entitled to an 80% discount on their business rates bill and Moray Council has picked up the tab for the remaining 20% but that support will end in April.

Stores affected in the region include Dementia Scotland, Cancer Research UK and the British Heart Foundation.

Moray Council were asked to comment.

Already a subscriber? Sign in

[[title]]

[[text]]