Campaigners battling to save an iconic Moray footbridge have revealed that the historic structure was used more than 26,000 times this month.
The Lossiemouth Community Development Trust recently launched a crowdfunder to help save the 100-year-old walkway at the beach.
It’s feared that the Lossiemouth East Beach Bridge is falling into such a state of disrepair that it could eventually be closed due to safety fears.
The trust has been carrying out a study to find out how often the crossing is used by the public.
>> Keep up to date with the latest news with The P&J newsletter
And it has now emerged that the footbridge was crossed over 26, 500 times in one month, with 4,000 people crossing over the beach structure on Easter Friday alone.
The trust is in the process of applying for various funding streams because it could cost more than £500,000 for all the repairs.
An online crowdfunder has so far raised £5, 600.
The next stage will involve paying for a topographical survey and architect studies of the bridge which will help establish the costs.
Huw Williams, LCDT development officer, said the trust was struggling to find a major funding source for the project.
He said: “The main problem we have got is there is no funding available for the total rebuild of the bridge as I’ve contacted the Scottish Government to discuss it but we either don’t meet the criteria or need to wait for new funding to become available.
“The donations we receive from the public are going to make a huge difference as we can press on and get the surveys done.
“We are also going to hold a public consultation before long so that they can decide what they want, whether that is a new bridge or replacing the top of it.
“It really is a time critical project as it will continue to get worse and it really needs doing within the next three years.”
To donate to the crowdfunder, visit www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/lossietrust