Man arrested five months after Elgin assault following CCTV appeal

A man has been charged in connection with a serious assault in Elgin.

A man was left with “serious facial injuries” after being attacked in the smoking area of the White Horse Inn five months ago.

Police released CCTV, captured by the pub’s security cameras, of the incident in the hope of catching the culprits.

And last night, they confirmed a 48-year-old man had been charged in connection with the incident.

He will appear in court at a later date.

Detective Constable Scott Mackay said officers would continue investigating the assault, which happened on November 19 last year.

“Inquiries remain ongoing and we would urge anyone who has information to contact us on 101,” he said.

“We would like to thank those who have assisted with the investigation to date.”

The CCTV images released by police earlier this year were shared thousands of times across social media, as north-east residents hoped to jog the memory of anyone who witnessed the incident.

The assault occurred in the midst of the police’s ongoing Operation Pine initiative – which is partly aimed at cracking down on antisocial behaviour on nights out.

The scheme was launched last July, and involves officers carrying out increased visits to pubs and clubs to stamp out any trouble before events turn violent.

Breaking

    Cancel