A woman’s car burst into flames and was reduced to a blackened wreck just moments after she parked it in Elgin and headed to work.
The woman left the red Hyundai i10 in a space near the front of the town’s St Giles Centre car park at about 9am yesterday.
Within moments, the vehicle burst into a fireball and thick plumes of black smoke were seen billowing from the entrance of the building.
Police and fire crews later confirmed that a second car caught fire during the drama.
The car park was evacuated as emergency crews arrived at the building to extinguish the flames.
Shortly after reaching her workplace, police called the woman to let her know what had happened.
And by the time she returned to the car park, the front of the car had been destroyed.
The woman was too shaken to discuss the incident in the aftermath, but the fire service said it is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault.
Police officers have said the incident is not thought to be suspicious.
A passer-by filmed the incident on her mobile phone, and the brief clip has since been viewed more than 20,000 times on social media.
The footage, taken from St Giles Road, shows smoke pouring from the entry to the building and a car alight inside.
Police said they were called to the scene at 9am and remained on site for two hours while firefighters made sure the scene was safe.
A spokeswoman for the force said: “We got a call at about 9am and there were two cars on fire at that time.
“The car park was evacuated as the firefighters got things under control. We have no reason to believe that there is anything suspicious about the fire.”
A fire service spokesman said: “At 9am, we responded to a fire involving two vehicles at a multi-storey car park in Elgin.
“One appliance attended and firefighters extinguished it using a high-power hose. There were no casualties.”