This is the moment a north-east trawler started to sink in the Atlantic – minutes after its crew had abandoned ship.
The Scottish skipper of the Banff-registered Kairos issued two distress calls when the boat got into difficulty 75 miles west of the Isles of Scilly.
Two Irish coastguard search and rescue helicopters were scrambled and the St Mary’s lifeboat was launched.
Another trawler which was in the area – the Irish vessel Cu Na Mara – also headed for the scene.
By the time the helicopters arrived two of the men had already managed to get on board the Cu Na Mara.
One was pulled on to the trawler from the water and the other two were lifted out of the liferaft.
The skipper and one of his four crew – all understood to be Filipinos – suffered minor injuries.
The Cu Na Mara headed for Castletownbere in County Cork in Ireland will all five men on board.
Last night, the harbour master at the small port, Cormac McGinley, said: “The captain and crew are being well looked after.
“A doctor is checking the skipper and one crew member as both got bangs to the face, nothing serious, just a precaution.”
The crew of the Kairos triggered a GPS beacon on board the stricken boat before it sank.
Jim Morrison, senior maritime operations officer for the UK Coastguard, said: “Thankfully all the crew were rescued.
“An incident such as this shows the value of having digital selective calling (DSC) and an emergency position indicating radio beacon (EPIRB) onboard.
“Using the information from the distress alerts we were able to locate the fishing vessel’s last position quickly and deploy resources to the scene.”
Banff councillor Michael Roy said the rescue was a reminder of the dangers faced by fishermen every day.
He said: “I’m just pleased on this occasion everything worked out well and everyone was rescued. But I’m sure the experience will stay with them for a long time.
“It’s a stark reminder of the dangers of the sea. Every time these guys go to their work there are unknown factors which may affect their safety.
“They’re extremely lucky that these rescue facilities are in place – it is a slight reassurance that they are.”
Fellow Banff councillor John Cox added that he was pleased all the crew had made it to safety.
He said: “A boat can be replaced, but a life can’t.
“The fishing industry has been designated the most dangerous job there is, and we can only be thankful that everyone was recovered and is safe.”
The 54ft Kairos operates through the Westward Fishing Company.
No one at its Fraserburgh office was available to comment yesterday.
The crew raised the alarm around 11.45pm on Monday.
The incident happened just six months after the loss of the Fraserburgh-registered fishing boat Ocean Way.
Filipinos Jhunitzquo Antonio jun, 34, and Michael Pulpul, 38, and its skipper, local man James Noble, 45, died when the 52ft twin-rig trawler sank in November.
Romulo Roche, 28, and Nixon Ocon, 38, survived the disaster.
The Department of Transport’s Marine Accident Investigation Branch is expected to launch an inquiry into the Kairos sinking.