Fire crews were called to a north-east farming village last night after a tractor burst into flames in a field.
The blaze broke out just yards from homes in the village of Rora, five miles north of Peterhead.
Emergency crews were scrambled to the scene after a 999 call was received at around 4.50pm.
When they arrived, five firefighters found a well-developed fire which had engulfed a tractor and its plough on agricultural land south of The Street, Rora.
No one was injured in the dramatic fire, which was brought under control with hose reel jets by around 5.30pm.
It is understood the incident may have begun when the tractor’s engine overheated.
Speaking from the scene, local farm worker Bruce Elder said it was lucky nobody was injured.
Mr Elder said: “It looks like the equipment at the back of the tractor overheated and that’s what started it all. There was someone driving it at the time but they got out okay and then the fire brigade showed up.
“No one was injured but it could cost tens of thousands to replace a tractor like that. I reckon at least £50,000. I’m not sure if anything can be salvaged of it. Maybe one of the front tires, but the rest has been destroyed.”
The fire – which began as the tractor was ploughing a field – burned so hot it melted the two heavy-duty rear tires on the vehicle.
Last night, a spokesman for ht Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said that two appliances from Peterhead had attended the incident and confirmed that nobody was injured as a result of the fire.