Welcome to The Press and Journal’s morning politics briefing — everything you need to know about politics in your region and across the country, before you start your day.
- Margaret Thatcher’s closing of the mines gave the UK an “early start” on fossil fuel transition, Prime Minister Boris Johnson has claimed.
- SNP ministers face claims they were “disrespectful” to an internationally renowned academic while snubbing calls to discuss repatriating slave trade profits.
- Endometriosis sufferers say they hope the Scottish Government’s women’s health plan will help those “suffering in silence” access support.
What’s on today
- The Stooshie podcast is back from its summer recess today, relaxed, tanned and raring to go. We’ve made some tweaks to the show to make it even more useful and interesting.
- Our first episode back will hear from Scotland’s newest MP, Anum Qaisar-Javed, who went from teaching modern studies to taking up her seat in the House of Commons almost overnight.
In case you missed it
- MSPs call for electric cars and more public transport – but do they practice what they preach?
- Oil industry needs ‘hard edged’ timetable to stop extraction, claims Keir Starmer.
- Prime Minister promises not to flat-foot the cop bill for COP26.