Caley Thistle move top of the Championship as Ross County are held by Queens

Inverness celebrate their second goal, scored by Shaun Rooney.
Inverness celebrate their second goal, scored by Shaun Rooney.

Caley Thistle went top of the Championship with a 3-2 victory against Partick Thistle at Caledonian Stadium.

John Robertson’s side moved above rivals Ross County, who were held to a 0-0 draw at Queen of the South.

Jordan White fired Caley Thistle in front after 11 minutes when he slotted home after Liam Polworth was denied by Cammy Bell before Shaun Rooney doubled the advantage after 23 minutes.

The hosts grabbed a third from the penalty spot in the 32nd minute following a foul  on Polworth. Sean Welsh converted from the spot, while Partick were awarded a penalty of their own just before the break but Mark Ridgers kept out Miles Storey’s effort.

Blair Spittal pulled one back for Partick with eight minutes to go before Kris Doolan netted a second for the visitors in injury time but Caley Thistle held on for all three points.

Ross County, who had started the day with a one point advantage at the top of the table, were held to a 0-0 draw by Queen of the South.

County made five changes from the team that defeat Raith Rovers 5-0 in the IRN-BRU Cup last weekend. Ross Munro, Davis Keillor-Dunn, Billy Mckay, Stelios Demetriou and Sean Kelly dropped to the bench as Scott Fox, Michael Gardyne, Iain Vigurs, Declan McManus and Don Cowie returned to the starting line-up.

Queen of the South also enjoyed IRN-BRU Cup success last weekend, although they survived an almighty scare having been 4-0 up at the break against Crusaders before eventually edging a 4-3 victory.

The Staggies lined up in a 3-5-2 formation with Ross Draper deployed in the centre of defence alongside Callum Morris and Liam Fontaine but it was the hosts who created the better chances in a fairly even first half.

Scott Fox produced a fine stop to deny Lyndon Dykes after nine minutes before Stephen Dobbie, already with 20 goals in 11 games, blasted wide from the edge of the area.

Another chance fell the way of Dykes after 31 minutes but again Fox was alert to save at the feet of the Queens forward.

Ross County enjoyed the better of the second half but were unable to find a way past a well-organised Queens defence as both sides had to settle for a point.