On a day when David Cameron made his last appearance as prime minister, a number of players will no doubt be wondering if they too have made their last appearance.
With little in the way of done deals, today’s transfer news is all about the wheeling and dealing and movements made behind closed doors. Maybe it’s not so different from politics after all.
Here are today’s top stories…
- Leicester forward Joe Dodoo, 21, was in Glasgow yesterday for talks with Rangers and trained with the Ibrox squad. (Various)
- New Partick Thistle signing Ziggy Gordon admits to a “stressful” summer, not knowing his next destination after leaving Hamilton Accies. (Various)
- Joey Barton is unlikely to be fit for Rangers’ opening matches in the League Cup since the experienced midfielder missed the club’s North American training camp. (Various)
- Former Celtic manager Ronny Deila is to take over at struggling Valerenga in his native Norway. (Various)
- Addison Garnett has left QPR on a free transfer. He will join up with Crawley ahead of their pre-season friendlies.
South of the Border
- Striker Wilfried Bony, 27, is set to leave Man City, with Galatasaray offering him a loan move. (Sun)
- Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho wants to sign Spain midfielder Cesc Fabregas, 29, who played under him at Chelsea. (Daily Mirror)
- Mourinho will move for Newcastle midfielder Moussa Sissoko, 26, should he fail to sign Juventus’ Paul Pogba, 23. (Le 10 Sport)
- The Magpies are willing to listen to offers starting at £20m for Sissoko.(Times)
- Former Manchester United player and assistant manager Ryan Giggs, 42, will play in the Indian Premier Futsal League this month.(Daily Mail)
Headline writers have been having a field day after Celtic’s shock loss to Lincoln Red Imps in the Champions League Qualifying. Here are some of the best:
Shock of Gibraltar (Sun) Rocked! (Daily Mail) Rocky Horror (Daily Express) Wimps (Daily Record) Red Imps 1-0 Red faces (Times), Rock is a hard place for Celtic (The National)