Firhill for thrills as Rooney nets late winner for the Dons in 4-3 victory

Adam Rooney came off the bench to score for the Dons.

Adam Rooney came off the bench to net a late winner as Aberdeen defeated 10-man Partick Thistle 4-3 in a thrilling match at Firhill.

There were three goals inside the first 14 minutes with goals from Chris Erskine and Kris Doolan putting Partick in front after Ryan Christie early opener.

Kenny McLean converted from the penalty spot just before the break before a stunning strike from Scott Wright put the Dons in front after 52 minutes.

Partick fought back immediately and equalised through Niall Keown but Dons substitute Rooney headed home the winner in the 84th minute.

The home side’s misery was complete when Keown was sent off in injury time for a second bookable offence.

The Dons made two changes from the team that defeated Dundee 2-1 with Wright and Greg Stewart replacing Mark Reynolds and Gary Mackay-Steven, who both dropped to the bench. There was no place in the squad for forward Jayden Stockley, who has been linked with a move to Exeter City.

Partick Thistle made five changes from last week’s 1-0 defeat by St Johnstone with former Dons forward Miles Storey missing out through illness.

Aberdeen took only five minutes to take the lead with Shay Logan’s driven cross finding Christie, who took a touch to control before calmly slotting the ball past Tomas Cerny.

But the home side got back on level terms only three minutes later when the Dons defence allowed Erskine too much time and space on the edge of the area and he rifled home with a precise left-footed shot.

The Dons had a strong appeal for a penalty turned down in the 12th minute when Christie tumbled following a clumsy challenge from Stuart Bannigan.

The match had started at a frightening pace – and it was Partick who netted again in the 14th minute.

Aberdeen goalkeeper Joe Lewis did well to prevent Kenny McLean putting the ball in his own net from a Blair Spittal corner but Partick poacher Doolan was perfectly placed to stab home the rebound.

The Dons had a chance to restore parity eight minutes before the break when a Christie free kick found the unmarked Stewart but the on-loan Birmingham City player nodded wide.

Then a controversial moment in the 42nd minute when the Dons were awarded a penalty for a foul on Christie by Bannigan.

The home support were incensed but McLean converted from the spot to level the scores.

Christie almost put the Dons ahead just before the break with an acrobatic effort that was superbly saved by Cerny.

A moment of real quality gave the Dons the lead seven minutes into the second half when Wright collected the ball about 30 yards from goal and curled the ball into the top corner giving Cerny no chance.

But the Dons lead lasted only two minutes with Partick capitalising on some ropey defending with Keown losing his marker to nod home a Spittal corner.

Aberdeen pushed for a fourth with McLean and Christie both going close but they eventually made the breakthrough in the 84th minute when a delicious cross from Christie was nodded home by Rooney to delight the 2,014 Aberdeen supporters.

There was still time for Partick to be reduced to 10 men when Keown saw red for a second bookable offence following a late challenge on McLean in injury time.