Dons beat United to reach last eight of Scottish Cup

Aberdeen's Gary Mackay-Steven celebrates his goal with Adam Rooney.

Aberdeen eased past Dundee United to book their place in the quarter-finals of the Scottish Cup with a comfortable 4-2 fifth round victory at Pittodrie.

Goals from Adam Rooney, Gary Mackay-Steven and Kenny McLean had Derek McInnes’ side in control before the break with Sam Stanton scoring for the visitors.

Mackay-Steven grabbed a second early in the second half with Paul McMullan’s goal for the visitors making the scoreline more respectable for United.

The Dons boss kept the same starting 11 which beat Hamilton 3-0 at Pittodrie in the Premiership last weekend with on-loan Newcastle United goalkeeper Freddie Woodman getting the nod in goal ahead of Danny Rogers.

Former Dons midfielder Willo Flood captained United on his return to Pittodrie but Paul Quinn missed out on an appearance against his former club due to injury. His absence meant former Ross County midfielder Stewart Murdoch was deployed in central defence.

United started brightly but it was the Dons who opened the scoring in the 20th minute when Rooney headed a Mackay-Steven mis-hit shot into the net from a yard following a fine run and cross by Kenny McLean.

The home side doubled their lead seven minutes later when Slater lost possession and Niall McGinn skipped past Mark Durnan to give the Dons a two-on-one break. McGinn released Mackay-Steven on the left and the winger had time to take a touch before slotting the ball past Harry Lewis.

United halved the deficit when a poor clearance from Anthony O’Connor was picked up by Craig Slater and his ball forward was flicked into Sam Stanton’s path by Emil Lyng and the midfielder fired past Woodman.

United’s hopes of getting back into the game lasted all of a minute however as a fine Ryan Christie turn gave him space and he picked out McLean who beat Lewis with a fine 12-yard header.

There was no letting up from the home side, however, and they scored a fourth 10 minutes after the restart when Christie sent Mackay-Steven clear and the winger ran into the box before slotting the ball past Lewis for this second of the game.

United pulled a goal back 20 minutes from time when substitute Paul McMullan beat Woodman with a curling effort.