Aberdeen’s board of directors will sanction transfer fees for new players this summer – if the right player is available.
The board approved a £175,000 fee for St Mirren midfielder Kenny McLean in January and Dons manager Derek McInnes insists he will have no hesitation in asking for another transfer fee to be paid.
Dons vice-chairman George Yule has indicated the directors may be willing to give additional funds to the manager provided McInnes can convince them the investment will be profitable in the long term.
Yule urged caution but confirmed the club is not averse to sanctioning further transfer fees this summer.
He said: “We’ve been very supportive of the manager to date but we have to live within our means. We can’t build up debt because that can lead to a vicious cycle.
“In terms of new signings we will discuss each player on a case-by-case basis.”
Yule, speaking at Marischal College yesterday where he helped launch the Golden Games, – a week of free activity for the over-65s in Aberdeen taking place at the start of June – believes McInnes and his players can be proud of their efforts for the club this season.
Aberdeen finished second in the Scottish Premiership, taking the title race to the third last game of the campaign before losing out to champions Celtic.
Yule is pleased with the progress being made at Pittodrie but believes there is still room for improvement for the Dons, who ended their 19-year wait to win a trophy by winning the League Cup last year.
He said: “It was satisfying to finish in second place but we can’t dwell as we are building for the future.
“There’s been a sense around the club that we’re building something good for a few years now.
“It was a very long season and we will start again soon, we’re due back in June and our first fixture is on July 2. Right now the players are enjoying the break.”