PICTURES: Juniors Dee to four as they derail Locos and march on

Andrew Hunter with a diving header.

Pictures by Kenny Elrick
Andrew Hunter with a diving header. Pictures by Kenny Elrick

Jamie Watt hit a brace as Banks o’ Dee were impressive 4-1 Morrison Motors (Turriff) Aberdeenshire Shield winners against Inverurie Locos at Harlaw Park last night.

The victory saw the Aberdeen junior side book a semi-final tie against Deveronvale at Spain Park in a fortnight.

Dee led at the interval through a Jack Henderson strike. Within a minute of the restart Andy Hunter levelled but two goals in a minute from Liam McCall and Jamie Watt, from the penalty spot, and another late Watt strike saw the visitors safely through.

Chris Angus, Locos’ recent signing from Buckie Thistle, was back in their starting line-up, playing just behind top goalscorer Neil Gauld and Hunter, but regular goalkeeper Andy Reid was suspended.

Banks o’ Dee also fielded a strong side, with the evergreen Watt leading the front line and former Keith and Formartine United number one Andy Shearer in goal.

The first chance fell to the visitors but Watt’s 25-yard free kick sailed over the crossbar without troubling Scott Mathieson in the home goal.

At the other end, Hunter also fired over from 20 yards as the action hotted up.

Gauld was set free on the left flank midway through the first half but the striker’s ball into the six-yard box was a weak one and Shearer gathered with ease.

The game badly needed a goal but there was nothing between the two sides, most of the action being confined to the midfield areas, and any time a break looked on defences were on top.

Six minutes from the break Dee won a free kick wide on the right but Alan White’s delivery sailed high over everyone and the chance was lost. Two minutes later Dee broke the deadlock when Henderson’s header from a corner looped up and over Mathieson for the opener.

Within 60 seconds of the restart Inverurie Locos were back on level terms.

Neil McLean won the ball and when he centred Hunter was on hand to steer the ball low past Shearer from eight yards.

In the 55th minute Dee restored their advantage when Locos failed to clear a corner and central defender Liam McCall fired home. Worse was to follow for the home side 60 seconds later. Mathieson brought down Michael Philipson in the box, the goalkeeper was booked and Watt hammered the ball low into the left hand corner of the net to make 3-1.

With 20 minutes to go Colin Charlesworth thought he had pulled one back with a header but the standside assistant’s flag was raised for offside.

In the 86th minute veteran Watt rammed home his second goal of the night from four yards to complete the scoring.