Fraser to four as Mechanics take Fort apart

Lee Fraser

Forres Mechanics were on cloud nine on Saturday when Lee Fraser scored four goals in their 9-1 Highland League victory against Fort William to make it nine wins out of nine.

Fraser took his tally to 19 for the season with his second hat-trick in seven days, much to the delight of Mechanics manager Charlie Rowley, who said: “It was a difficult day for Fort William but, nevertheless, it was good day for us.

“We were pushing for double figures, as it’s something which doesn’t happen very often, and you can’t really take Fort’s feelings into account when you’re going for that.

“Lee Fraser is on top form at the moment, three of his goals, in particular, were cracking strikes.

“That’s seven goals for him in the last two games, and two hat-tricks back-to-back, so he’s really in fine form just now.

“Fort narrowed the pitch so we had to change our thought process slightly but it worked nonetheless.

“We’re pleased to have come away with three points and scored a few goals as well.”

Rowley was relieved the game got the go-ahead and added: “It was touch and go, really. The pitch was heavy but there was still some frost in some areas but I would rather go there on a semi-playable pitch on a Saturday, than a perfect playing surface on a Wednesday night.”

Forres opened the scoring in the fifth minute when Graham Fraser was impeded in the box and Alan Pollock scored from the resultant spot kick.

Five minutes later Graham’s twin brother Lee scored the first of his quartet and three more goals were to follow in a blistering seven-minute spell from the 28th to 35th minute, with Robbie Duncanson making it 3-0 before Lee Fraser added two in as many minutes to complete a superbly-taken hat-trick before the break.

Fort grabbed a crumb of comfort when Kevin Ferguson pulled a goal back on the hour mark but any hopes of a comeback were dashed eight minutes later when Graham Fraser then Ryan Stuart both netted with headers from corner kicks.

An own goal from luckless Fort full back Lewis Campbell in the 77th minute made it 8-1 and Lee Fraser completed the rout five minutes from time with his fourth goal of the afternoon.