Windass treble ends Broch’s Scottish Cup dream

Rangers midfielder Josh Windass

Josh Windass’ hat-trick was the difference as Fraserburgh’s hopes of a Scottish Cup upset were sank by Rangers at Bellslea Park.

Mark Cowie’s side gave their all against the Premiership opponents in the biggest game of their history but the class of Windass ensured the Gers will head to Ayr United in the fifth round.

The Broch manager made three changes to the side which beat Forres Mechanics 6-1 on Saturday with Paul Campbell, who scored twice at the weekend, joining Michael Rae and Cameron Buchan in dropping to the bench.

Jamie Beagrie, Marc Dickson and Dean Cowie came into the starting line-up.

Rangers interim manager Graeme Murty made six changes to the team which beat Ross County 2-1 on Sunday with Jason Cummings, who came off the bench to score the winning goal, making his first start. Alfredo Morelos was among the substitutes.

The Broch started brightly against their Premiership opponents but found themselves a goal behind after 15 minutes after Jason Holt went down in the box under a challenge from Broch defender Bryan Hay.

Referee Greg Aitken pointed to the spot and Josh Windass converted it, beating Peter Tait with a well taken spot kick low to the goalkeeper’s right.

The Broch had a penalty appeal of their own when Willie West went down under a challenge from Lee Hodson but the official dismissed the appeal.

Fraserburgh continued to give as good as they got in a competitive encounter but Rangers took control of the tie early in the second half when Windass scored his second of the game from close range.

With the home side tiring Windass, the difference between the teams, grabbed his hat-trick midway through the second half when he cut in from the left flank before drilling a low shot past Tait from the edge of the box.

Fraserburgh were reduced to 10 men five minutes from time when substitute Graham Johnston was shown a red card for a lunging challenge on Rangers substitute Joe Dodoo.