Queen of the South 3-3 Caley Thistle: Incredible three-goal comeback from Inverness

Inverness CT's Sean Welsh levels the scoring from the penalty spot
17/11/18 LADBROKES CHAMPIONSHIP PALMERSTON PARK - DUMFRIES QOTS V INVERNESS CT (3-3) Inverness CT's Sean Welsh levels the scoring from the penalty spot

Just when Caley Thistle’s long unbeaten league run looked over, John Robertson’s men exemplified the determination that has characterised it with a stunning three-goal comeback at Palmerston.

The Caley Jags had been off-colour in the opening hour with Queen of the South deserving of the 3-0 lead they had built courtesy of Lyndon Dykes, Stephen Dobbie and Josh Todd.

Inverness manager John Robertson admitted his side had got off lightly by that stage but they have not gone undefeated in the Championship since March for no reason.

Jamie McCart’s 71st minute header breathed new life into Caley Jags and was quickly followed by substitute Nathan Austin’s header.

The third goal in the space of 11 minutes came thanks to Sean Welsh’s penalty, giving the Highlanders time to find another goal with Austin denied a winner only by a sublime late save from Queens goalkeeper Jack Leighfield.

Nevertheless it was an incredible turnaround to salvage a point from the jaws of defeat.

Of the 25 matches without loss, this will be among the most memorable for the Caley Jags supporters who made the long journey to Dumfries.

Inverness named the same side that ended a run of seven straight draws with a 1-0 win at Partick Thistle.

Queens created a glorious early opportunity to take the lead with Dykes’ low shot clipping the outside of Mark Ridgers’ post.

Dykes threatened again on 24 minutes when he lashed a powerful first-time strike into the side-netting but the attacker was not to be denied in controversial circumstances on 32 minutes.

Stephen Dobbie swung in a low cross which Brad Mckay attempted to cut out.

He only succeeded in setting up Dykes to finish from point-blank range, albeit in the face of strong protests from Ridgers that he handled the ball in doing so.

The half-time whistle was a welcome sound for Caley Jags but matters worsened for Robertson’s men on 51 minutes.

Dykes turned provider with a long ball to Dobbie which caught the visiting defence off guard, with the veteran attacker rounding Ridgers before rolling low into the empty net from 30 yards.

It was seemingly game over just after the hour mark when Andrew Stirling set up Todd to curl a delightful strike past Ridgers.

It had all the hallmarks of a bruising end to the club-record sequence but the visitors had other ideas though.

The comeback was sparked by McCart’s close-range header, with the defender bundling home a Joe Chalmers free-kick from close range.

Within three minutes Inverness dared to believe, with Austin stooping low to steer home Tom Walsh’s delivery at the near post.

Inverness took full advantage of the chance to level on 81 minutes, when Welsh tucked home from the spot after he had been felled by Callum Fordyce inside the box.