Is there a light at the end of the great big Virgil van Dijk transfer saga tunnel? Quite possibly so!
For months now we have heard that half of England are interested in the signature of Celtic’s star man but now it looks like Southampton will be the team to sign the Dutchman.
The Dutch defender doesn’t look like he’ll be the only one heading for the Parkhead exit – The rarely spotted Anthony Stokes also looks like he’ll be on his way, with Burnley keen on the Irishman.
Elsewhere Caley Thistle’s prize asset is proving rather popular south of the border, Partick Thistle could sign Ronaldo (not that one) and a number of Scottish clubs have strengthened their squads over the last few hours.
- Inverness Caley Thistle youngster Ryan Christie is drawing plenty of admiring glances after an impressive campaign last season.
Christie once again impressed those admirers on Saturday with an excellent goal and Swansea City, Burnley and Fulham are all now said to be watching him and considering a move. (HITC)
- Southampton manager Ronald Koeman believes he will sign Celtic defender Virgil van Dijk in a £10million deal.
The Saints, along with Everton and Sunderland have been strongly linked with the Dutch centre half but it appears Koeman has now stolen a march on his rival Premier League managers. (De Telegraaf)
- Celtic have made it quite clear that striker Anthony Stokes is no longer required at Parkhead and it looks like he could be heading for the English Championship.
Burnley boss Sean Dyche is keen on signing the Irishman and the Turf Moor club are now closing in on a deal to secure his signature. (Scottish Sun)
- Aston Villa are considering a move for Scotland Under-18 star Alex Iacovitti.
The Nottingham Forest centre back, who can also play left back, is only 17 but has produced a number of impressive performances for Forest’s under-18 and under-21 teams.
The Premier League side are now plotting a move after he was recommended by Kevin McDonald, Forest’s former academy manager, who now works at Villa. (Nottingham Post)
- Former Dons keeper Jamie Langfield is expected to join St Mirren after he was released by Aberdeen. (Various)
- Partick Thistle are considering a move for Ronaldo.
Surprisingly enough, the Ronaldo in question is not Real Madrid superstar Cristiano but Montenegrin under-19 international defender Ronaldo Rudovic.
Rudovic, 19, is currently on trial with the Jags after he was released by German side Waldof-Mannheim.
- Scotland midfielder Barry Bannan could join English Championship side Derby County.
The 25-year-old was left out of the Palace squad for their opening day win over Norwich and Derby boss Paul Clement believes the Scotsman could replace Derby playmaker Will Hughes who has been ruled out for six months with a cruciate ligament injury.
Latest done deals
- Midfielder Iain Vigurs has returned to Inverness Caley Thistle, signing a one year deal.
- Former Rangers midfielder Kyle Hutton has joined Queen of the South on a short term deal until January.
- Hamilton Accies youngster Andrew Ryan has joined Arbroath on a three month emergency loan, the Red Litchies have also signed Rangers youngster Darren Ramsay on loan until January.
- Motherwell have signed Reading midfielder Jake Taylor on loan.
- Kilmarnock have added Swansea goalkeeper Oliver Davies on loan.
And down south…
- Southampton are closing in on a deal to sign Chelsea midfielder Oriol Romeu.
The midfielder, 23, was at Saints’ training ground this afternoon to conclude the deal. (BBC)
- Arsenal are considering a £22m bid for Sevilla’s defensive midfielder Grzegorz Krychowiak, after sending scouts to watch him in last night’s Super Cup final against Barcelona. (Daily Telegraph)
- Aston Villa are on the verge of completing the £12m signing of Barcelona’s winger Adama Traore, 19. (Daily Mail)
- Fiorentina are closing in on a move for Liverpool striker Fabio Borini, 24. (Liverpool Echo)
- Chelsea are set to complete the signing of Augsburg’s 21-year-old left-back Abdul Rahman Baba for £17m. (Sun)
- West Ham have cancelled a deal to sign former QPR midfielder Joey Barton, 32, after supporters complained about the potential signing. (Mirror)
- Italian side Torino are looking to sign Manchester United’s Mexican striker Javier Hernandez, 27, on loan. (Mirror)